Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kitty Makes Me A Girl


I was exchanging texts with my friend, StarPower, about Monday Night Raw before the conversation shifted to UrbanErotika™, an event I co-produced and StarPower performed in about 2 weeks ago. He told me that I looked really nice that night. I had received a few compliments the night of the show and accepted his gracefully as well. I told him I should “dress like a girl more often”, or maybe I just needed reasons to.



The next morning, I had an “aha” moment of sorts and decided to wear a skirt. I was making a few stops that day and I figured I would be comfortable enough. I clearly made the right decision when I walked into the APART showroom for Kitty Bradshaw’s 2 Year Blogiversary event. Normally, I’d rock a pair of jeans & a simple top or t-shirt. I didn’t stray from the t-shirt but wore it with my “dangerous curves ahead” skirt. I even wore slight heels and I even threw on some beads. All the attendees that night proved that writers and bloggers aren’t homely creatures with no fashion sense.




I take pride in my appearance, with my main objective being comfort. I take care of my body, skin and hair; I keep things simple and natural and got further confirmation that what I do works for me (special thanks to Rahul Mehendale of mySkin, Inc.). I’m not too obsessed with what I put on my body though. I’m not big on adornment. I don’t wear make-up and I wear minimal jewelry (earrings and a watch). At the blogiversary event they were also giving manicures to all invited guests courtesy of Priti Nails. I haven’t had a professional manicure since 2004.



Near the end of the evening, raffle prizes were awarded. The raffle proceeds benefited the Lower Eastside Service Center/Angel Thrift Shop. I won a custom pair of Nina Shoes. Me. Nina Shoes designs very sexy, funky styles including a pair of booties that light up. I approached Matthew Iles of Nina Shoes to give him my contact information and find out how I could claim my pair of shoes. I love that the first thing he said to me after a congratulatory hug was, “First of all, do you see anything here that you like?”



The estrogen-influenced side of my brain did like some of the shoes. I’m not great in heels; I’d need a ride arranged to take me to and from wherever I’m going if I’m wearing those heels (I’ve broken my ankle once in my life, no mas). I would definitely wear them for a photo shoot. I could capture images of the pop, pop, POP those heels give my legs. Yessiree!



So here I sit with my freshly manicured nails with my girlie parts girliefied (but never vajazzled) blogging (an activity that got me invited to Kitty Bradshaw’s Blogiversary) trying to decide on a pair of shoes and what photo shoot theme I’m going to wear them in. Can you imagine if the legs on the cover of my book were punctuated by a pair of 4-inch heels from Nina Shoes? That picture would be worth more than 1000 words (even though most of my stories are 2000).


Popular Posts

There was an error in this gadget