Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving





At 4 minutes after midnight I was sipping egg nog. I usually wait until after dinner but it was officially Thanksgiving Day and I deserved a treat.


For me, Thanksgiving has always been about watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade while I assembled a lasagne in the kitchen. Then I had to find some oven real estate once I was done; my mother always got a head start on me and the turkey would have hours more to go. In recent years, I’ve gotten hooked on the Dog Show, so I watch that too. Once I wasn’t living at home anymore, Thanksgiving involved a bit more travel (Brooklyn to The Bronx, sometimes, all the way to New Jersey!) but the food and camaraderie was always there. The giving thanks part of the day also became more apparent the older I got.


This year, there has been enough to stall and discourage me but I still have a lot to be thankful for. I’m alive to celebrate another Thanksgiving. So is my family. I’m in New York. I’m not homeless. I’m thankful that I still have the passion for my writing and my art. It’s great to know who you are and to not compromise yourself. I’m in great health; I constantly push my body and I love when she pushes back. I have great {old} friends and I’m developing new friendships and relationships. I was able to put together a pretty impressive Thanksgiving spread considering my limited means. I hope to be proactive and take advantage of this Solar Eclipse and New Moon.


So I assembled my lasagne. I slid it into the oven, fitting side-by-side, with the poultry centerpiece (I’d checked beforehand if it would fit), and waited patiently. And I sipped egg nog out my wine glass; it does wonders for my skin.

*   *   *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts