Sunday, February 17, 2013

Always Have A Plan B


screenshot from Plan B commercial
 

Right at the precise moment I was sharing with a friend that I really am not looking forward to being pregnant and there are things that I have to take care of first before I do and there's only one person who I would even think long and hard about considering having a baby with IF that were to happen, that Plan B, AKA The morning after pill commercial (see above) came on hulu. I took a pic of it to send to my friend to show her the universe was screaming at me -- there's no need to be thinking about having no babies, 'specially not with him. As this commercial eloquently pointed out there was an option for when the condom breaks or if we lose common sense in the heat of the moment.
 

Years ago we women needed a prescription for Plan B, I got one that was valid for a year. Thankfully I never had to use it. Use of Plan B is rising according to the CDC. I think it's part to do with availability and the increased awareness that it exists. 


There's the backlash from misinformed people confusing it with the abortion pill (mifepristone) and condemning women for taking the pill to prevent pregnancies (that haven't happened) and condemning "science" for coming up with such heathenish options. 


Then there's the all-too familiar slut-shaming -- tsk tsk on those women for having sex all willy-nilly, and not using protection because they know they can just pop a pill and their uteruses will remain empty, barren or unsullied, unscarred and pure (depends on how you look at it). I've read comments on posts about Plan B and the comment section is usually split between people for Plan B and the ones against it who tend to be pro-lifers or (at the very least) folks who were shamed or forced into marriages they didn't want to be in and had children they never wanted. I know that kind. That's a whole 'nother post. 


Plan B does not signal the end of civilization. It represents a woman having the rights and options to do what is right for her. I carry and distribute condoms like they're business cards. But if one should fail and I find myself in a situation where I could possibly become pregnant, I'm using Plan B. And I can't swallow pills. 


*   *   * 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts