Thursday, August 25, 2011

Music, Inspiration And "Too Much Boogie"



I received goodies in the mail last week -- two erotic short story collections. I just finished reading one of them, Too Much Boogie: Erotic Remixes of the Dirty Blues by Cole Riley.

After looking over the "track list" on the back cover I immediately turned to "Effects of Moonshine" by Dorla Moorehouse. Due to recent happenings in my own life after drinking actual moonshine, I had to read this story. I wasn't disappointed. The heat, the dancing, the bodies...



Then there is "My Strongest Weakness" by C. Dennis Moore, about a man who turns to women and whiskey to deal with depression. I've known a few men like that over the years. The erotic scenes were definitely hot but the story stuck with me because of the honest portrayal of the character. His weakness. 


The theme of Too Much Boogie -- stories inspired from the recorded gems of the Delta blues, Chicago Blues, Memphis blues and Texas blues -- appealed to me. I was thrilled to discover the sexuality and sensuality in lyrics of the blues from the 20's, 30's and 40's. The stories Cole Riley compiled for the collection ran the gamut of a dying lover, strained casual encounters, swingers, prostitution, an affair at 30,000 feet, losing "it", and of course, musicians. Mo Beasley's UrbanErotika Juke Joint instantly came to mind -- the marriage of the blues and erotica.


I incorporate music into my stories; many have soundtracks. I was on my sixth, seventh, perhaps tenth, revision of my story submission for the upcoming Missing Pages: A Short Story Anthology by Glendaliz Camacho (Bushwick Media) when I received Too Much BoogieThe arrival of this book was beneficial. Too Much Boogie gave me added inspiration as a writer. For this project, the musical inspiration came from Ruben "Flaco" Gonzalez, and the entire time I worked on this story I listened to my playlist of Jorge Ben, Daniele Silvestri, Manu Chao and Antonio Carlos Jobim...


Let the characters take you wherever they want to take you, the music will do the rest.

~  ~  ~

New to my erotica? Check out the The Good Night Kiss and The Darker Side of Lust


And for an Added treat... Primero lo Primero!




*   *   *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts