Friday, December 20, 2013

Rising Waters 2.0 Exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York


UPDATE: The Rising Waters 2.0 exhibit has been extended until March 31, 2014!


"Chinatown Eternal Dusk", November 2, 2012



I received the news on Wednesday night. One of the photos that I took during the days following Hurricane Sandy will be included in the special presentation, Rising Waters 2.0. at the Museum of the City of New York. I did my best to contain my excitement that night but believe me, I sent texts with lots of exclamation points and took one of my "leaps of glee" when I got home.



Once the winds died down, I ventured out to Prospect Park, Park Slope, SoHo, LES, Chinatown, Tribeca and the Financial District to see how those neighborhoods were faring without power after Hurricane Sandy. Images from my time in SoHo ended up on seriouseats and ArtINFO and were requested by ABC's The Chew.




On October 28, 2013, Rising Waters: Photographs of Sandy opened at the Museum of the City of New York. "Chinatown Eternal Dusk" (shown above) is one of 13 images I submitted during their Sandy Open Call. Due to the popularity of that exhibit MCNY decided to host a special presentation to complement the exhibit. It's not surprising that Rising Waters is such a success. A tragedy for some and an event for others, Hurricane Sandy brought people together. At times even for some brief random communications.



I'm looking forward to seeing which image of mine was chosen and to view all the other selections included; the art will be wonderful and I'm sure there will be many moving images that stir emotion in Rising Waters 2.0. The exhibit will be up Thursday, December 26 to Sunday, January 5, 2014. If you're in New York, check it out. On a personal note for Abigail Ekue Photography: what a way to cap off the year where my photography was presented in a Gothic Revival synagogue in an international exhibit, in Time Out New York and in a 40-foot projection in LIC, Queens!


*   *   *


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts