Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ask Abbie: Why Can't I Lose Weight?



Can't Lose Weight Asks:


Hello.. I can use some advice. Although, this is a very common topic and most people suffer from it, I wanted to explore a specific option.


I am 36 and lately I cannot keep off my weight. I am 6 feet (182 inches) tall and weight about 187 pounds. I try and exercise whenever I can (mostly cardio), however, I am unable to reduce weight. I was looking at one of two options and would love some advice from your position.


1. Weight loss pill - like lipozene. I have tried to research this on the web and some of the posts are really scary. I don't know how accurate the information is.


2. Testosterone - Is it possible that I might have low T count, which might be resulting in excess weight?Ideally I want to be in my 160-170 range, however, I am unable to lose a single pound.


Advice pls.



Ask Abbie Answers:


First off, doing mainly cardio is your problem. You need to lift weights. You'll increase your metabolism and burn more calories even at rest. You can get cardiovascular benefits from a strength training program. Strength training will also help to protect your joints from all the pounding you insist on subjecting them to with repetitive cardio. The first few weeks of a strength program you may think you're putting on (fat) weight if you're the type who is a slave to the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat but it is "smaller" and takes up less space. At 6 feet and 187 lb, since you feel you need to lose weight, you're probably "soft" and need to tone up and shape your body. Of course you can still lose weight doing a strength program 4-5/wk and you can do cardio 2-3/wk (there will be overlap because of the cardio benefits of lifting). You may drop 10 or 20 pounds (taking into account a healthy, balanced diet), or you may not. Your body holds on to what is necessary. But you will be healthier, stronger and your body will shape out/look better and your clothes will fit better with a weight program. I'm 5'2", 175 (last I was weighed at the doc) and I don't look fat.


Speaking of doctors, you won't know if you have low testosterone levels unless you go to the doctor. They can do the lab work. Done.


Who told you 160 to 170 was your ideal weight? Maybe at some point in your life you were that weight but you're 36 now. Your ideal weight should be a healthy number not one you saw on a chart or a weight you were 10 or 20 years ago. Just saying.


The reason the info you're reading about the weight loss pill is scary is because it is. There's no quick and easy fix for weight loss. And if you choose to put a drug into your body, bad things are going to happen. Your body will be out of sync and that can lead to increased blood pressure, heart rate, insomnia, fatigue, severe dehydration or death.

*   *   *

If you have a dating & relationship, sex, fitness, health, nutrition or body image question, send it in an email or fill out the form on my website About page or Written Word page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts